It's the end of the school year and I thought I was going crazy with all the cleaning and organizing I had to do. WIth the help of my hubby and the classroom para-professional, it was all done in the nick of time, 4pm on the last day of school June 20th. I cleaned for 2 weeks, getting rid of things I had too much of, reorganizing my books, dusting (yes classrooms get dusty) and whatever organizing I had to do. Not only did I have to label everything, I had to separate my things and those that belong to school. Boy was it done in the end. Although unpacking it all in August will be my biggest challenge since I probably won't remember where I put everything.
Despite it being my first year with DC, I had an amazing time. I got to know 17 amazing children and their respective families. I got to know the children at my school and the local people who make up the community. Best of all, I didn't have to sacrifice as much of my social life as I thought I would have. I ran a half marathon, read a few books and travelled (both to my families home and to Peru). On top of everything I did not take one single day off (sick days or leave) and I was the only teacher in the entire school who can say that. For next year, I have real competition for places in my class. Parents are asking me left and right if their kid will be in my class. For better or worse, the decision is not mine to make so I can honestly tell them I don't know. Also, being appointed the grade level chair after my first year seems to be too good to be true but the work load is a little frightening. Will I be able to juggle it all, while still maintaining a quality of life outside of school, who knows. It's good to be in demand anyway.
If you couldn't tell already, I'm a bit of a work horse. After my last day of school and bidding my school farewell, I welcomed myself to my summer school position I've held for three years. I've met a few new faces and received many hugs from some familiar faces, including mommies and their children. Summer school is fun so far, we've finished making out first project of clay and wire bugs on recycled painted materials. We've had 5 more weeks to look forward to and so many possibilities.
I love teaching!!
No comments:
Post a Comment